What most people prefer in house mates
Results of the One Shared House 2030 survey show that, overall, respondents:
- Would prefer couples, single women and single men in their community.
- Prefer to live in the city.
- Would pay extra for a service layer to manage all house-related items.
- Want the common areas to be furnished, and furnish their own space themselves.
- Want house-members from different walks of life.
- Would prefer set private and communal spaces with clear boundaries of use.
- Think honesty, being neat and tidy and considerate are the most important qualities in a house member.
- Are most comfortable sharing internet, a self-sustainable garden and workspaces.
- Don’t need their own private kitchen and would use the communal kitchen so they can have more flexible private space.
- Want to ensure their own room is off-limits when they’re not home.
- Would love a pet in the house.
- Want new house members to be selected by a consensus vote.
- Would prefer to pay energy costs based on the amount of energy used by each person.
- Worry most about the potential lack of privacy.
- Would settle conflicts by talking privately to that person.
- Think the two biggest pros of living with other people is having more ways to socialise and splitting costs.