A hefty price of R85000 was achieved by Cannon & Cannon Auctioneers for a boxed set of gold SA Stamp Heritage Collection at the auction house’s recent sale of antiques, art and collectables held in Hilton.
Other noteworthy prices fetched at the well-attended event included:
* A set of seven mixed-media bird and plant illustrations by Harold Martel Millar – R15 000.
* A Llewellyn Davies bronze sculpture of a sunbird – R17000.
* A Tinus de Jongh oil painting titled Cape Dutch Homestead – R10500.
* A gent’s Breitling Chronometer Navitimer wristwatch – R34000.
* A George IV silver basket by Rebecca Eames and Edward Barnard, London, dating back to 1822 – R7750.
* Twelve place-setting Victorian silver cutlery set made by George William Adams, London, in 1857 – R22000.
* Selous Scouts and Special Forces collectors’ items – R20000.
* British officer’s sword by Hawkes Moseley and Sons, London – R15000.
* Burr walnut secretaire military chest – R13000.
* Burr walnut escritoire – R12500.
Cannon & Cannon is inviting consignments for its final sale of the year on November 26. For more information, phone 033 343 3364, email email@example.com or visit www.cannons.co.za.