Sale includes buildings around the country
Among the diverse commercial and industrial properties on offer at the Broll Auctions sale in Joburg at noon on April 25 is one of Pietermaritzburg’s most unusual and historic structures – the beloved old Ireland’s Department Store building in the heart of the city.
The building at 225 Church Street, now occupied by Edgars, was built in the late 19th century when fascinating ornate facades were the order of the day. The interior has changed substantially over the years but the old Ireland’s Store façade is still in place.
Ireland’s store in those days not only welcomed pedestrian shoppers but also those arriving in the dusty street on horseback. In fact, a 4m-high lane leading right through the store provided thoroughfare for horses to be stabled at the back while their owners shopped.
The site of the building has even more history attached to it as it accommodated the home of Voortrekker leader Piet Retief’s widow, prior to becoming a department store. Lenie Retief and two widowed daughters-in-law moved to Pietermaritzburg after the government granted her two farms and a plot there in commiseration after Piet Retief was killed by the Zulu chief, Dingaan in 1838.
Among the other properties from all over SA on offer at the auction will be:
* Large multi-level warehouse with a huge gross lettable area of 44 000m² in South Coast Road, Umlaas, KZN.
* The luxurious Leriba Hotel and Lodge in Centurion.
* Thabaledi Game Lodge in Pilanesberg with its luxury chalets and atmospheric bush camps.
* 84 Katherine Street, Joburg, a three-storey residential block with 143 units, ideal as retirement complex.
* Greenside Retail Centre at 12 Gleneagles Road in Joburg – fully tenanted with high exposure.
* Phidias Centre in Van Riebeeck Street in the heart of the Edenvale CBD.
* The well-known and popular The Factory on Grant retail building in Norwood.
* The iconic Joburg CBD landmark, 161 Commissioner Street with its mixture of flats and shops.
* Upmarket property in Silver Lakes Golf Estate, Pretoria;
For further details about the sale, contact Bradley Stephens at 082 443 7731 or email email@example.com or visit www.broll.com.