The black leather jacket and skin-tight trousers Olivia Newton-John wore in the classic 1978 movie Grease fetched $405700 (over R5.85million) - more than double the expected bid.
The actress’ original script from the film was also among the items on offer which in total fetched $2.4m at a Julien’s Auctions sale in Los Angeles.
Auction highlights included:
* A poster of the movie signed by Newton-John and her co-star John Travolta fetched $64000.
* A “Pink Ladies” jacket presented to Newton-John by the cast and crew of Grease – $50000 (25 times its original estimate).
* A script for Grease, dated June 9, 1977, with handwritten notes and front cover signed by Newton-John and Travolta – $35200.
* Handwritten lyrics for the song, You’re the One That I Want, written by composer John Farrar, signed by Newton-John, Travolta and Farrar – $12500.
* The actresses’s 1950s-inspired petal-pink lace gown which she worn to the 1978 premiere of Grease – $18750.
* The tan leather shoes worn by the star while she was rehearsing the dance numbers for the movie – $11250.
Newton-John, 71, is battling cancer for the third time. Some of the proceeds of the auction will go to The Olivia Newton-John Cancer and Wellness Centre in Australia.